The head of the Australian Grand Prix says there is ‘no chance’ Sunday’s race could be held behind closed doors due to the spread of the Coronavirus.
However Australian Grand Prix Corporation CEO Andrew Westacott ruled out taking the same step at Albert Park. Last year 102,000 spectators attended the race; Westacott noted similar numbers attended a match at Melbourne Cricket Ground yesterday.
He told Australian radio station SEN there was “not a chance” F1 fans could be excluded from next week’s race. “When you look at 86,000 at the MCG last night and the footy the week after, we’ve got to go around things sensibly and keep moving on through life while taking the necessary precautions.”
Staff from Ferrari, AlphaTauri and Pirelli heading to the race from Italy, where millions have been quarantined due to Coronavirus, are among those who are being screened for the virus on arrival in Australia.
“The AlphaTauri cars and the Ferrari cars are on their way from Avalon [Airport] as we speak, so it’s really good.” Westacott continued. “The key personnel are on their planes.
“Interestingly, the only two people who didn’t hail from Italy were Sebastian Vettel, who came out of Switzerland, and Charles Leclerc coming out of Monaco via Nice. All the others are on their way, and we’re expecting [them to arrive] in the next 12 to 24 hours.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton