Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter andNyck de Vries will make his Formula 1 debut this weekend as a substitute for Alexander Albon at Williams, the team have confirmed.
“Williams Racing can confirm that, after feeling unwell this morning and seeking medical advice from the FIA and local hospital, Alex Albon is now undergoing treatment for appendicitis,” the team said in a statement.
“Following on from this, we can confirm that the team’s Reserve Driver Nyck de Vries will drive in place of Alex for the remainder of the Italian Grand Prix weekend. Alex is in good spirits and the team wishes him a speedy recovery.”
De Vries made his third appearance as a practice driver yesterday, for Aston Martin. He also drove for Mercedes in first practice for the French Grand Prix two months ago.
The 27-year-old from Sneek in the Netherlands won the Formula 2 championship in 2019, then moved into Formula E. He won that series for Mercedes in 2021, but the team pulled out of FE at the end of this season.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 Italian Grand Prix
- F1 warned to avoid “knee-jerk” red flag rule change after criticised Monza finish
- McLaren ‘surprised two teams found more performance than everyone else’ in 2022
- Alpine confident for Singapore and Suzuka races after “massive” floor upgrade
- Red Bull’s RB18 suits Verstappen more than Perez now – but that’s not by design
- “We’ll have four racing laps’: How F1’s Safety Car confusion unfolded at Monza